Thursday, September 7, 2017

The McDonald's Chronicles




I often stop in at McDonald’s for coffee, just to see the people and to talk with some when I am lucky. Everyone should now and then, it keeps you in touch: Just who are these many that you might otherwise miss?


Or maybe you don’t care: I can tell you that I almost NEVER encounter a friend there that I know… just strangers.
 
Like this morning: a very energetic 50-something guy with a goatee much like mine, but his was died purple! So sorry to have missed talking with him, I fully intended to but he slipped out with his order while I was in the bathroom and I missed him.
 
Of course not all the patrons are so colorful. Many are old and much worn, some very sad, and yet others very happy and laughing, especially those who seem to come regularly in groups.
 
And of course the energetic children who love climbing in, around, and out of the McDonald’s Play Place…
 
And a few (yet too many) obviously troubled children destined to poverty, grief, tears.
 
Of course I have coffee in other places as well, places where I am better known and where I often encounter a friend. But I already know those people.
 
McDonald’s is a place where I can Witness…



No comments:

Post a Comment