Last year at least 10,952 minutes
(that’s 182 hours, or 30
minutes a day)
on the computer reading and writing about politics
Changed no one’s mind about anything
In the same year,
30 minutes a day on the meditation cushion
have modestly changed me...
More tolerant, understanding, kind, and joyful
What do you imagine I will do this coming year?
What will you do?
Long Winter Shadows
(one of about 30 hawthorns lining our road)

It would be interesting to talk about this more. My dad has been practicing Buddhism for 35 plus years. My sister-in-law is black; my niece and nephew bi-racial. Somewhere along the line ... perhaps Trayvon Martin, perhaps another, my dad started feeling like he needs to do more.
ReplyDeleteI practice yoga pretty extensively. There's a whole movement about taking yoga off the mat and into the world through social action. My dad and I, we kind of came to the same point where what we were doing for ourselves needed to be practiced more actively.
Will I change minds or halt a catastrophe? I have no idea. Am I a more loving, calm person? Sometimes ... not as consistently as I might wish. Can I find a way of combining both? That's my hope.
I appreciate your comments.