Monday, January 7, 2013

Am I a Practicing Buddhist?

January 4, 2013 a friend asked by email if I am a “practicing Buddhist?” The question is more interesting than first appears; after all, how often is one asked whether s/he is a “practicing” Christian? Not a bad question! How many people “believe” in Christianity without “practicing” it, whatever that might mean? So indeed, what does it mean to be a practicing Buddhist?

 

The following encapsulates my personal response regarding Buddhism. “Personal” is a key qualifier. Buddhism is roughly 2,000 years old, and has flowered diversely. There are many ‘schools’ of Buddhist thought, and the Buddha himself insisted that doctrine must yield to personal experience; that there might be as many different ways to understand and practice Buddhism as there are different types of people.

 

This does not mean that Buddhism is whatever you want it to be. Certainly there are core Buddhist beliefs about the nature of reality, the nature of suffering, and the nature of liberation, or enlightenment. That said, Buddhism embraces wide variation in its emphasis and in its paths.

 

So what follows must be qualified: while my practice is rooted in traditional Buddhism, I admit to other influences and idiosyncratic notions. Thus you cannot judge Buddhism at large by its expression in me. What I share below is merely my personal version of Buddhist practice; Buddhist at the root, but personal and unique in important particulars.

 

 

My Personal Practice

 

My friend asked the right question: am I a practicing Buddhist? Buddhism cannot be fathomed except through “practice.” You might read many books about its history, philosophy, and principles, but your apprehension will be very superficial, until you begin to practice. So I shall describe my practice, which I first undertook in March of 2005.

 

 

Meditation

 

The key is meditation: usually while seated, but often while walking, or even standing still, looking upon nature. Meditation is a river … a baptism that renews me daily, and on the best days, even hourly.

 

Meditation is letting go. Letting go the noise, anticipation, scheming, rehearsing, fear, pondering, reminiscence, regret, desire, wishing, envy, analysis, wanting, striving, politics, economy, trivia, and so on and so on and so on …

 

Meditation is arriving home, here, now, in this place, in this time, in this moment …

 

 

Impermanence, Acceptance, Detachment

 

Through meditation, I become more observant of, sensitive to, and accepting of flux, change, impermanence ...  the very essence of the cosmos … the very essence of our condition.

 

I am more willing and more able to let go, especially of what I can’t control. Of course I practice “prudence,” and expend effort when it seems likely to yield a positive result. But while I do attempt to promote the good, I am detached from the ultimate result. Should it not pan out, that’s OK; no recriminations after the fact, and no undue stress or worry along the way. I accept impermanence and the lack of ultimate control as universal principles. Genuine acceptance and detachment bring genuine peace.

 

 

Contentment

 

Meditation promotes contentment. Beyond the necessities, I do not want what I do not have, and do not strive after such. Why would I? As you come to know authentically the here and now, what else is there? Only the inferno of artificially manufactured desires, stoked continuously by television, movies, the internet, magazines, and society: the whorl of brand name clothes, shiny new vehicles, expensive new homes and furnishings, exciting vacations, activities and experiences, the latest gadgets and other trivia, and so on and so on and so on … Manufactured, inauthentic desires with no claim on a practicing Buddhist.

 

Not to say that Buddhists don’t desire and buy such … Of course they do, no one is perfect. But worldly, material impulses are borne and executed somewhere in the inevitable lapses and gaps that accompany unperfected Buddha nature. And with more “practice” come more contentment and fewer lapses.


 

Reading, Misunderstandings, and ‘Emptiness’

 

A central tenant of Buddhism is that “you” are really not who or what you believe yourself to be; that you misunderstand the true nature of your existence; that your belief in an inherent “you-ness” is fallacious. Frankly, I cannot adequately explain these ideas in this short essay, but it is important to note that these ideas, imperfectly understood, are the root of enormous misunderstandings about Buddhism. This confusion is compounded by language about “emptiness” which one often encounters in Buddhist writing. Just be warned that a superficial encounter with these ideas will likely be fatal to a genuine understanding of Buddhism.

 

The only solution I know is to engage a first-rate text on Buddhism (or a guru), and to patiently and deeply meditate on these concepts. My favorite book is “Essentials of Insight Meditation Practice: A Pragmatic Approach to Vipassana,” printed and donated for free distribution by The Corporate Body of the Buddha Educational Foundation, Email: overseas@budaedu.org, Website: www.budaedu.org

 

I initially read widely on Buddhism, Zen, Yoga, Hinduism, Taoism, and meditation, but have read much less in recent years. Reading is good in that, as noted above, there exist a wide range of Buddhist theory and practice, so reading can be helpful, if not essential, in settling on the style most suited to you. But it can also be very confusing and frustrating. Ultimately there is no substitute whatsoever for disciplined, personal “practice.”

 

 

Self and Ego

 

Through practice, my understanding and insight continue to grow. Embracing impermanence and detachment have come relatively easy. The big struggle is with ego.

 

That doesn’t necessarily mean I believe I am wonderful, though the sad fact is that yes, all too often I do catch myself thinking such, despite so much evidence to the contrary. No, the more profound problems with self and ego are more subtle.

 

I see, interpret, and judge too much through the unenlightened prism of Me. I am not empathetic enough to honestly see or understand the people standing directly before me. My biases and prejudices often clothe the public in grotesque costumes and masks. Too often my compassion shrivels just beyond the embrace of my own family. I interpret every slow-moving vehicle as a personal affront to my own sense of time. Best to stop here, you get the idea, unfortunately.

 

But don’t despair for humanity or me. My 2013 practice will confront these problems. I’ve already told my wife Kathy that this year I intend to deconstruct and dissolve my ego. She thinks it is a great idea!

 

 

Mindfulness and Awareness

 

Beyond peace, contentment, equanimity and such, are dimensions of mindfulness and awareness: powers of being all but annihilated in the cauldron of contemporary life.

 

Jobs, schedules, meetings, deadlines, appointments, clocks, calendars, television, internet, phones, text messages, email, Facebook, children, your spouse, your boyfriend, co-workers, commercials, billboards, traffic signals, news, radio, CDs, ipods, Muzak …

 

People run day and night on automatic pilot, reacting subconsciously, with little genuine, authentic mindfulness or awareness, let alone the deep mindfulness and expansive awareness of which we are all capable!

 

The great gifts of Buddhist practice include not only peace, contentment, and equanimity, but also deep mindfulness and expansive awareness: the very prerequisites of freedom!

 

You can only be free when you are mindful and aware; otherwise there is no possibility of authentic choice.

 

Of course these powers wane and even vanish throughout the day, but their habits are cultivated and strengthened through the practice of Buddhist meditation.

 

 

Where Am I and What is This Place?

 

Meditation is not an end unto itself. Yes, it is usually gratifying, at least once you get the hang of it, and I often feel “baptized” and super-aware at the end of a session. But its principal value depends on the extent to which its awareness and insights persist throughout and color, shape, and modulate the balance of my day, beyond the typical thirty minute session. After all, that’s where most of life transpires. And frankly, meditation’s baptism and awareness can fade fast with the day’s first rude jolt.

 

But one can cultivate a habit of “returning” throughout the day. I don’t mean that you will or should return to the meditation cushion throughout the day, but rather you can develop a habit of often pausing momentarily, for a minute or even just ten seconds, to reconnect with your Buddha nature. For instance, when I catch the sunlight through a window, I am often reminded to “touch base.” Or when I am frustrated, that in itself can prompt me to slow down, touch base, and reboot.

 

Some of my most effective prompts are triggered when something unexpectedly catches my attention; for instance, a bird’s shadow flits by, or I notice a design on a cup or in wallpaper that somehow strikes my fancy. In these unexpected moments of awareness, I have trained myself to ask “Where am I and what really is this place?” Then the key is to answer the question at a deeper-than-normal level; or at a bare minimum, to at least touch base and reboot yet again.

 

Through meditation I have learned to see many places, objects, relationships between things, etc, quite differently … with fresh eyes. These fresh views often reinforce other insights about impermanence, emptiness, ego, etc, so calling myself throughout the day to answer this fundamental question (Where am I and what is this place?) in different contexts continues to shape the rest of the day, yielding value far beyond that which my typical thirty minute meditation alone would afford.

 

 

Nature and Paganism

 

To my mind, traditional Buddhism falls far short with respect to nature. Yes, many Buddhists have loved nature, as is evident in their art, but their writing seems, at least to my modest scholarship, to utterly ignore nature. Maybe nature in Buddha’s day was a given; always there in the foreground.
 
 
After all, Buddha’s enlightenment famously occurred beneath a bodhi tree. Whatever the reason, I require a primary focus on nature. I simply would not want to live otherwise.

 

So my every day consciousness is saturated with nature and pagan sensibilities. Throughout spring, summer, and fall, I meditate primarily out of doors (we have three acres and hundreds of trees I planted in 1997). Winter meditations are mostly indoors, but still I will meditate outdoors perhaps once every week or so, and walk at least some distance outdoors often.

 

I find no support for this need in Buddhist writing, and imagine urban Buddhists might suppose my need to be a non-Buddhist attachment. So be it. I am unabashedly a Pagan Buddhist, and proximity to nature is at least as important to me as any Buddhist principle.

 

 

Refuge

 

There is a saying in traditional Buddhism: “I take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha,” where the Dharma is the body of Buddhist teachings and the Sanga is the community of practicing Buddhists. Unfortunately, I am a lonely Buddhist, as must be most rural American self-styled Buddhists. In this entire, dispersed world I personally know but six other people who have any Buddhist inclinations whatsoever. So my practice is decidedly deficient in this respect.

 

 

Conclusion

 

 
For me, Buddhism is a radical way of experiencing the world and my place in it. But it is an understanding that is difficult to communicate directly. How can you explain “red” to someone? You may point to something red, but you can’t explain it in words, and you cannot know if someone else experiences red in the very same way that you do.

 

Hopefully though, I have communicated at least some sense of what it means to me to be a practicing Buddhist. Greater understanding requires that you yourself “practice.”


  
I hope to write a series of shorter and much more interesting “explorations” in the months to come, so stay tune if you are interested. Unfortunately this output will be very irregular, so if you are really interested, let me know and I will send you notice as the explorations are published here at www.Zen-Clock.blogspot.com.

 

 


 
Stephen Rowe welcomes correspondence of all sort at StephenRowe.OriGraphics@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment